The Third Piece Rule

Let me preface this post by saying that any kind of fashion "rule" would be more aptly called a guide. To quote one of my fashion idols, Iris Apfel, "I don't have any rules, I would only be breaking them." I feel similarly that any time I think have some sort of system in place I do something different, ha! In the same vein, fashion "rules" should be helpful and not stifling. So think of these ideas as tips to simply help you feel more confident and put together this week, because the most important part of any outfit is YOU! Ok now that I've got that out of the way let me break this concept down in case it is new information to you. I first came across this fashion formula "The Third Piece Rule" while perusing Pinterest a few months back and I realized many of us are probably implementing this without even realizing it. The idea is that if you add a third piece to your outfit then you will "complete the look" without being over or underdone. Now keep in mind this is not including shoes. Pretty straightforward right? I am a visual learner so I've provided you some examples to drive the point home ;) Now that it's summer, chances are you aren't going to want to wear a ton of extra fabric so I'm going to focus on lightweight ensembles, maybe I will do a followup post in the fall and winter! (Because I LOVE to layer hehe) Try a t-shirt, shorts and a statement necklace. This tee shirt is cheating a little bit because it's already got it going on with the mixed materials but it's my favorite top so I had to use it as an example ;)
Or in lieu of a necklace (if that just sounds miserable when you are feeling hot and sweaty haha) try a fedora to shade you from the sun and gain extra style points ;)
Some great jewelry advice that I recently received from a friend (mandas.mypremierdesigns.com) is to try statement earrings or loose stacked bracelets in the summer to add sparkle to your outfit when it is hot and you don't want metal or anything bulky on your already sweaty skin.(Haha sorry for the gross example but the struggle is real!) If you are wearing a dress that would count as one piece, you could pair it with a lightweight cardigan or chambray and even tie it around your waist to cinch it in and give it extra shape.
(Above) Another idea to add a third (or fourth if you're feeling really chic) piece to your outfit for extra pizzaz would be a statement bag! I couldn't resist this tote because of that darling posh pink color and it definitely brightens up a neutral ensemble. (Below)I don't really enjoy spaghetti straps but I do think this dress is cute so I'm going to try it with this denim vest.
Try a Kimono as a third piece or as a swim coverup this summer! A kimono like this would look great with a swimmer or a basic white tee and denim shorts to give a simple look some pop.
Here are some examples of how I've implemented this rule in the last couple of weeks. The "third" piece here would be the cardigan but then the hat (fourth piece) gives it an extra touch--and let's be honest--hides my halfway done hair.
My favorite detail from this outfit is definitely the fuchsia skinny belt but again, nothing like a paper fedora for a chic accessory on sunny days.
Using my cardigan as a "third" piece and cinching in my loose blouse just a bit.
I added a cardigan to this outfit because of the color combo and liked it as an accessory around my waist once it got too hot!
I don't wear glasses but I thought these halfway tortoise shell frames added a nice touch with this retro look (complete with red lips of course! brand:Mac Lady Danger)
Well friends, that is all I have for you this week, I hope you enjoyed this post and let me know what you think in the comments! XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! It might be obvious to some people but you really demystified fashion for me with this tip so I finally know what I was doing wrong. I think I was stopping at two pieces 90% of the time and wondering why I felt so boring. I'll be giving it a try this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww yay I'm glad this was helpful to you Paula, you are so adorable I'm sure your "third piece" outfits will look great, thanks for sharing!! Xoxo

      Delete

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top