Mix it up!

This week I wanted to demystify another fashion technique that can add so much interest and flair to your look, print mixing! Maybe it's just me but I feel like I have been noticing mixed prints in fashion and home decor more than ever lately. Stripes and florals have been my go to for several years now but this last year I've been branching out significantly so I thought it would be fun (and hopefully inspiring) to share some of my favorite mixed print combinations. I've also gathered some tips that I thought would be helpful if you are perhaps just beginning your print mixing journey! ;) Tip 1. Find a unifying color. I think this is the easiest and perhaps most effective way to mix and match different prints, find a similar color within your prints and start from there! Tip 2. You can also go with a complimentary or neighboring color scheme for a look that is pleasing to the eye. "All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposite" -Marc Chagall, Artist. To be honest I usually just go with the unifying color or a monochromatic look! Tip 3. I've heard it said that typically it's a safe bet to mix a small scale pattern with a larger one. Personally I say go with your gut and what most interests you but I think that is not a bad guide to use! (Especially if you are just starting to mix your prints and aren't too sure) As the variety of prints are nearly endless so are the combinations you can create, which makes print mixing all the more exciting! You can also use a textured fabric as a print. If you aren't quite feeling up to mixing prints, try a print with colored denim or chambray to make your look stand out. I feel like this has been my go-to this summer when I don't feel like trying very hard! Another great way to incorporate mixed prints into your ensembles is to add printed accessories and shoes. In my opinion leopard or stripes can work very well as a neutral so start there! To quote my friend Terri Schuler, who majored in Clothing and Textiles at WSU "If it's pleasing to the eye and not too disruptive" then it is probably a good match! Thanks for tuning in this week ;) I should have some more great styling tips for you in my next post! XOXO

5 comments:

  1. Love the photo examples, they help me visualize the concept

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Aunt Sandy, I'm glad this was helpful to you! :)

      Delete
  2. Love the photo examples, they help me visualize the concept

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Karina!! Love all the examples and visuals for "how to". You're so creative❤️

    ReplyDelete

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top